Each college provides multiple opportunities for students to receive help with their academic work. The best place to start is by visiting your college’s Tutoring Center, where peer and professional tutors are available to offer assistance in a wide range of subjects. Additionally, individual departments may host tutoring activities in their subject areas at the department level. Finally, City Colleges are working with embedded tutors to provide additional support inside the classroom.
Students can request the assistance of a tutor at any campus with a valid CCC Student ID.
Taking advantage of tutoring services is quick and easy.
- Check tutor availability or make an appointment using GradesFirst. Log into GradesFirst. On your homepage, you'll see your courses listed and a link to schedule a tutor appointment. You can find drop in tutoring services or make an appointment.
- Visit your local Tutoring Center. Meet the tutoring staff and make arrangements for tutoring services.
|Learning Resource Center (main) - Room 409|
Art Tutoring - 8th Floor
(must be currently enrolled in an HWC Art course)
Applied Sciences - 7th Floor
Math Tutoring - Room 702
Music Tutoring - 3rd Floor
Science Tutoring - Room 923
Writing Tutoring Lab - Room 407A
|U Building |
- Media Communications - U155
- Visual Communications - U155
- Automotive Technology - V117/V123
- Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning - V149
- Foreign Language Lab - X203 (2nd Floor of Library)
- Child Development - Y131
- Business Lab - Y116
- CIS (Computer Information Systems) Lab - Y216
- Dental Hygiene - Y161
- Math Lab - Y22
- Reading Lab - Y102
- Science Lab - Y116
|Academic Support Center - Room 2301 (by Library)|
|Adult Education - SCLC 3055|
Adult Education Room - 3400
Computer Science and Math - Room L410
Economics, Psychology, English - Reading & Writing - Room 2407
Graphic Design Room - Room 3230
Social Science, World Language and Spanish - Room 3222
Biology and Chemistry-Room 3400
Harry S Truman
|CIS Lab, Main Building, Room L 567|
Larry McKeon Building, Room 177
Math Center, Main Building, Room 1176
Reading Center, Main Building, Room 1220B
Science Center, Main Building, Room 1440
TRiO PARTICIPANTS ONLY, Main Building, Room 1435
Writing Center, Main Building, Room 1435
|Academic Support Center, Room A-245|
- Math & Physics Tutoring, Room S-102
- Writing Center, Room S-101
Humboldt Park, Room 307
TUTORING SERVICE GUIDELINES
- What Tutors and Students can accomplish together.
We are happy to assist you with study prep, note taking, brainstorming and final revisions. Tutoring sessions are limited to one hour. It is important to remember that tutoring services can also be utilized early in the semester as well.
- Come prepared to tutoring sessions.
Bring any relevant textbooks, syllabi, class materials, notes, and papers. It is easier for the tutors to provide excellent tutoring service if students bring the appropriate materials to a tutoring session. Additionally, it is important for your tutor to refer back to any relevant materials provided by your instructor.
- Read your textbook and any relevant material provided by your instructor.
In order to understand the course material it is essential to read assigned pages from the textbook. Additionally, the tutors can provide students with greater assistance when the student have read the appropriate material(s).
- Come with a plan and questions.
Know what material you would like to cover within a tutoring session. Actively participate in the tutoring session by having a list of questions to ask your assigned tutor.
- Tutors can only help with homework concepts and assignments.
We strongly encourage students to make an attempt at completing their assignment prior to requesting a tutor so students can take note of the specific concepts with which they want help. You and your tutor can review these concepts and work through similar problems. However, the tutor cannot do your homework for you nor help you with take home tests, quizzes, or projects.
- Please be respectful, thank you!
Your time with the tutor is valuable. Please do not talk on your cell phone or cause distractions while working with your assigned tutor.